Have changed the lives of people with mental disorders for the better!
Many people with mental disorders live fulfilling lives with the help of these medications. Without them, people with mental disorders might suffer serious and disabling symptoms.
- Properly prescribed psychiatric medications are as effective and safe as most other pharmaceuticals. Before they are marketed, they must be approved by the Federal Drug Administration as safe and effective just like all other medications.
- Medications treat the symptoms of mental disorders. As with other chronic illnesses, they cannot cure the disorder, but they make people feel better so they can function and lead more productive and happier lives.
- Medications work differently for different people… some people get great results from medications and only need them for a short time… people with disorders like schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, or people who have long-term or severe depression or anxiety may need to take medication for a much longer time.
Those Terrible Side Effects:
- At the top of the list “Reasons not to take Meds” is unwanted side effects. People are afraid of feeling “drugged, dopey, sleepy or mentally dulled”, gaining weight or sexual side effects.
- While these and other side effects can occur, we can work together to find the medications that will help you feel better with minimal side effects
You always have the final word about medications.
For most patients, psychiatric mediations are both helpful and safe and should be considered, but you have the final word when it comes to any medications. My job is to make medication recommendations and review each drug’s benefits, risks and side effects as well as any treatment alternatives that are appropriate for you.
Pharmaceutical companies are spending millions of dollars each year in the search for new psychiatric drug treatments. Please go to the National Institute of Mental Health drug website and read their booklet on psychiatric drugs for details about specific psychiatric medications, their uses and side effects. This is an invaluable source for an in depth review of these medications.